Do’s and Don’ts for Water Damage Insurance Claims

Do’s and Don’ts for Water Damage Insurance Claims

The most common types of house insurance claims are those for water damage. Water damage is third in most claims, behind wind and hail damage. Property owners are frequently shocked that their home insurance only covers some cases. It is advisable to call an adjuster for your insurance claim to be authorized and reimbursed, regardless of whether you are dealing with a new or existing claim. To simplify the procedure, here are several points to bear in mind.

Take Reasonable Steps to Stop the Flow

Act immediately to stop further water from flowing where it shouldn’t if you are convinced it is safe. This may entail closing your home’s main valve (which frequently takes a wrench) or another specific water supply valve, also known as a “stop.”

Know the Coverage of Your Policy

You may already be aware that your homeowner’s insurance covers water damage. The forms of water damage, however, may also affect this coverage. Here are a few instances:

  • A foundation with cracks
  • Backups in the plumbing
  • Damage brought on by a storm
  • Flood damage
  • Obstructed drains or other plumbing difficulties
  • Ruptured pipes
  • Unintentional or abrupt discharge

Report the Claim to Your Insurance Agent

Time is crucial when dealing with water damage, so ensure you get it right. If you can’t fully clean and dry the area, it makes sense to contact a water damage/restoration company like PuroClean. Insurance companies might be reluctant to endorse a specific water damage firm, but they should be able to point you in the direction of several nearby companies.

Hire a Reputable Water Damage Cleanup Firm if Necessary

Before moisture or mildew spreads, it is necessary to pump away any standing water and completely dry any surfaces using a water damage restoration in Richmond. The contractor may need to use specific cleaning agents after sealing and ventilating the moist area if mold and mildew are already present.

Contact Your Adjuster

An insurance adjuster will visit your house as quickly as possible on behalf of the insurance company. They will assess the damage and enquire how and when it occurred. The adjuster is first attempting to determine the cost of the needed repairs. Second, he wants to know if anyone is at fault.

Consult With Several Contractors

While visiting with various contractors may be less needed for smaller tasks, it makes sense to choose a suitable partner for more significant projects. You are responsible for checking contractors to ensure they are appropriately accredited and insured. Showing more than one expert agrees may be helpful if your adjuster’s estimate needs to be higher. Visit this page if you’re looking for reliable contractors.

Negotiate the Repair Settlement

Your insurance agent can also help you here. Ask your agent to mediate if you lack the guts to negotiate with the technicalities. They are more adept at this procedure and will likely understand how to present the argument you’re putting out.


Invest in a system that detects water leaks and flooding if you are concerned about water damage. The detector will either disconnect the main water valve or be wired into your current alarm system (local or with remote supervision). A straightforward system, mainly intended for home use, comprises a wireless water and flood detector with a local alarm or connected to a telephone receiver/dialer system. Last but not least, you’ll want to be sure that you have a certified restoration crew.